Abridged from www.naic.org
Legalized marriage for same-sex couples continues to be a headline issue in states like New York, California and New Hampshire. However, in most states, domestic partnerships have little or no legal recognition. Domestic partners in all states need to get smart about their health insurance to make sure they are properly covered. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) provides these tips to help same-sex couples recognize their options:
1. Employer-provided benefits are on the rise.
2. Add your partner to an individual policy.
3. Establish coverage for children.
4. Learn tax implications.
5. Continue coverage with COBRA.
6. Establish health care power of attorney.
7. If your employer’s plan does not provide domestic partner coverage, then ask about including it at renewal.
Contact us today to find out more information about this subject or any other Employee Benefit subject.